Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Tata Jagriti Yatra: A journey across the country, A journey through my inner self


1 Train | 13 Destinations | 15 Role Models
18 Days | 400 Youths | 9000 kms

Call it a stroke of luck (or multiple strokes rather) that I had the opportunity to be on this most unconventional Yatra. And, I realized the full implication on Day 0, on the day of induction, when I found myself amidst a most intellectually stimulating, passionate and highly energetic group of people from across the country and beyond. And, it was a very unique feeling. Most of them aged 20-25, this group of people are committed to drive the wagon for change - be it social, political or economical. And from very diverse backgrounds. This was the kind of group who would not smirk at you when you talk about morality and value systems, or when you talk about the problems of India and the possible solutions. In fact, this group teaches you to look at problems as opportunities and actually make use of this opportunity to create an impact, and no, I am not talking about the usual talking-in-the-air stuff.

But, the most important thing is that these people are just like you and me, but with a difference. And that difference, I believe, lies in that they have a Vision. I had no clear idea of what I wanted out of the Yatra. I did not have enough time to do my homework. But on Day 0, I committed myself to interacting with as many people as I can and developing perspectives. Whether or not I have been successful, whether or not I got the best of this opportunity? I don't really know. More important is that after the 18 days on train, I am able to ask more questions, as one of the board members of the Yatra organizing team so succinctly put.

These 18 days were characterized by learnings and un-learnings, never-ending discussions and discussions that really led us to conclusions, meeting people, gaining fresh perspectives and humble realizations. But what is needed is to carry this process forward. The real Yatra, as they say, begins now. The passion and the inquisitiveness has to be sustained and put to tangible use sometime in the near future.

More posts on the experiences of the Yatra to follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment